Meols (MEO)

Meols is a stop on the Merseyrail Wirral Line on the West Kirby branch between Moreton and Manor Road.
Information
Type: National Rail
(Merseyrail Wirral Line)
Station code: MEO
Opened: 1866
Platforms: 2

Meols was one of the original stations of the Hoylake Railway, the predecessor to the Wirral Railway. It opened in 1866 and became part of the Wirral Railway in 1883. In 1938, by now operated by the London Midland Scottish Railway the line through Meols was electrified. The station was rebuilt at the same time, the Art Deco shelters and main station building dating from this rebuild [1].

The station has cycle storage, indeed it has such since 1938 - back then this was quite a rarity! [2] It is planned to improve accessibility at the station by adding lifts to both platforms.
Merseyrail 507 019 departs for West Kirby

View down the platform under a concrete canopy

Gradient post

A train prepares to depart

The Art Deco platform shelters

Merseyrail 507 033 arrives with a Liverpool bound service

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Birkenhead to West Kirby (Middleton Press, 2014) Fig. 44
[2] Ibid. Fig. 45