|WMR 172 343 departs Wood End|
|Type:||National Rail (Shakespeare Line)|
As with some of the other stations on the line Wood End was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1908, it was located in a cutting next to the one hundred and sixty one metre long Wood End tunnel. The station was originally known as Wood End Platform  and kept this name until the late 1930s. The station was never a major affair, serving a sparsely populated area (Danzey was considered the best station for Tanworth-in-Arden). The station had no goods yard though did have a ticket office and a staff of two.
Station facilities were basic however, comprising of wooden structures . The ticket office was damaged by fire in 1967. A concrete footbridge was built at Wood End in 1949. This was removed in 2014 when new stairs were built down to the platforms via access ramps from the main road.
The station is now an unmanned request stop managed by West Midlands Railway. The only facilities being two concrete shelters and public information screens. The station has an hourly service during the week between Birmingham and Stratford-upon-Avon though has no Sunday service.
|Looking down towards Wood End tunnel|
|New WMR branded station sign|
|More new signage on the platform|
|Robust steps down to the platform|
|Looking up towards Birmingham|
 Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Stratford-upon-Avon to Birmingham Moor Street (Middleton Press, 2006) Fig. 59
 Colin G, Maggs, The Branch Lines of Warwickshire (Amberley, 2011) p. 139