The first station at Water Orton was built by the Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway in 1842. It was replaced by the current station built by the Midland Railway in 1909 after the junction of the line to Kingsbury was re-sited to allow for higher line speeds. The new station was built further away from the junction .
The station was built as a single island platform with the station building on a road bridge which crossed the railway lines. A goods yard used to be located next to the station but it was closed in 1966 .
Although the station is managed by West Midlands Trains only Cross Country services stop there, usually a two-hourly train between Birmingham New Street and Leicester though there is also one train a day to and from Derby. There is no Sunday service.
|Two Cross Country trains pass just North of the station|
|Side of the station building, seen better days|
|Stairway down to the platforms|
|View down the platforms|
 Vic Mitchell, North of Birmingham (Middleton Press, 2014) fig. 29
 Vic Mitchell, Birmingham to Tamworth and Nuneaton (Middleton Press, 2014) fig. 45