|Chiltern 168 004 arrives at Bicester North|
|Type:||National Rail (Chiltern Main Line)|
The station was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1910. The station as built was far more elaborate than the station which exists now. Bicester North had a goods yard and a couple of through roads for non-stopping services. The Chiltern line drastically cut back in the late 1960s, being singled for a lot of it's stretch though a loop was retained at Bicester North . The track was redoubled in the early 2000s and remodelled through the station to allow for higher speeds. The space formally occupied by the through road became the new Up (London) bound track through the station. The platform was widened as a result (which is why the waiting rooms and other buildings on that platform are so far back!)
The main station building is little changed since the opening of the station with the original canopy. The footbridge is largely as it was since the station was built, though lifts have been added. Originally the bridge had to span four tracks hence its width! The station is managed and served by Chiltern Railways.
|Chiltern 165 002 arrives with a South bound service|
|Under the GWR canopy|
|Main station building|
 Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Princes Risborough to Banbury (Middleton Press, 2001) plate 63