Bicester North (BCS)

Information
Type: National Rail (Chiltern Main Line)
Station code: BCS
Opened: 1910
Platforms: 2
Bicester North in Oxfordshire was built as a stop on the GWR Chiltern Main Line. It was Bicester's second station (the other being the London & North West Railway's Bicester London Road, then Bicester Town and now Bicester Village on the line to Oxford).

The station as built was far more elaborate than the station which exists now. Like many stations before the cuts of the 1960s Bicester North had a goods yard and a couple of through roads. The Chiltern line drastically cut back in the late 1960s, being singled for a lot of its stretch though a loop was retained at Bicester North [1]. The track was redoubled in the early 2000s and remodelled through the station to allow for higher speeds. The space formally occupied by the through road became the new Up (London) bound track through the station. The platform was widened as a result (which is why the waiting rooms and other buildings on that platform are so far back!)

The main station building is little changed since the opening of the station with the original canopy. The footbridge has been changed over the years though is largely as it was since the station was built, though lifts have been added. Originally the bridge had to span 4 tracks hence its width!
Chiltern 165 002 pulls into the station on a Marylebone bound service 
Main station building

View of the footbridge, note the width of the Up platform

View towards Banbury

Platform shelter, advertising Chiltern services to Stratford-upon-Avon

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Princes Risborough to Banbury (Middleton Press, 2001) plate 63