Leigh-on-Sea (LES)

Leigh-on-Sea serves the seaside town on the London, Tilbury & Southend Line between Benfleet and Chalkwell.

Type: National Rail
(London, Tilbury
& Southend Line)
Station code: LES
Opened: 1855
Platforms: 3
The original station was built by the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway as Leigh in 1855. The station was renamed Leigh-on-Sea in 1904. The London, Midland & Scottish Railway replaced the station in 1934, opening a new site eight hundred metres to the West of the original station. Part of the original station building still remains and these days is used by the Leigh-on-Sea Sailing Club.

The new station was larger and had space for three platforms. Interestingly Leigh-on-Sea was a stop on the London Underground District Line from 1910 to 1939. Summer season excursion trains operated by the District Line stopped on the way to Southend.

The station is served by c2c and has six trains per hour in each direction between London Fenchurch Street and Shoeburyness or Southend Central. Another local railway item of interest in Leigh-on-Sea is a former electric car of the Southend Pier Railway which is now in an art gallery near the station.
c2c 357 208 departs for London

Station building

Platform view

Former Southend Pier Railway car

Original station building

The line heads off through Leigh-in-Sea towards Southend