|Type:||Southend Pier Railway|
|Platforms:||2 (shore) + 2 (pier)|
The original pier had a horse drawn tramway but when the work on the current pier began in 1887 provision was made for an electric railway. Operations began in 1890 of this railway  with the full length completed the following year. After a period of decline this original pier railway closed in 1978.
It was finally replaced in 1986 by a brand new line (though with the original stations reused, the shore-end station dates from the rebuilding of the building it is housed in in 1932 ) which was to 914mm gauge. The railway has twin track termini at both ends which are known as North (shore-side) and South (pier-end). This line continues to run today though the original South / pier-end station was damaged in a fire in 2005 and was replaced by a new station in 2009.
The North shore-end station is fully enclosed  and has the line's depot next to it and a museum dedicated to the pier underneath, this museum contains preserved cars from the original pier railway. The current line is operated by two diesel locomotives and push-pull rolling stock. There is also an electric single car unit for off-season.
The South pier-end station is open-air though has canopies. Both stations have a single island platform.
|Sir John Betjeman stands at the North shore-end station|
|The South pier-end station|
|Sir William Heygate at the South pier-end station|
|North shore-end station|
|Another view of Sir William Heygate waiting at the South pier-end station|
|Another view of Sir John Betjeman shore-end, both stations have a single island platform|
 Dr Edwin Course, Barking to Southend (Middleton Press, 2002) Fig. 117
 Keith Turner, Pier Railways & Tramways of the British Isles (Oakwood Press, 1999) p. 54
 Robert J Harley, Southend-on-Sea Tramways (Middleton Press, 1994) Fig, 115