Coleshill Parkway (CEH)

Information
Type: National Rail (Birmingham to
Peterborough Line)
Station code: CEH
Opened: 2007
Platforms: 2
Coleshill Parkway is located in the Hams Hall industrial estate and serves Coleshill (though isn't especially close to it being a couple of kilometres away). The station was opened in 2007 as a parkway station though isn't the first station on the site.

The first station on the site was Forge Mills opened in 1842 on the Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway. This later changed its name to Coleshill in the 1920s though was closed in 1968.

The new Coleshill Parkway station opened 39 years later nestled deep in the industrial estate and located next to the Hams Hall Rail Freight Terminal. Naturally being a parkway station it has a 200 space car park. It is managed by London Midland though all of the stopping services are operated by Cross Country.
XC 170 108 pulls away on a service to Stansted Airport

Main entrance, ticket office (closed at time of the photo) on the right

View down the line towards Birmingham

General station view

Walsall (WSL)

Information
Type: National Rail (Chase Line)
Station code: WSL
Opened: 1849
Platforms: 3
The first station in Walsall was Bescot Bridge in 1837 built near Bescot Stadium station, but in 1849 a proper city centre station was built in Walsall by the South Staffordshire Railway on a route to Dudley. Further routes and lines were added to Walsall over the following decades.

The current station buildings date from the late 1970s when the old station was demolished as part of a major retail regeneration project. The Saddlers Centre shopping mall has been built atop the station and is where the main entrance and concourse is. Another entrance is via station street.

Nowadays Walsall is host to services on the Chase Line between Birmingham New Street and Rugeley and services between Walsall and Wolverhampton (via New Street).
LM 323 221 stands at Walsall

Platform 1

Platform 3

Station street

Ropley

Information
Type: Preserved Rail (Mid-Hants Railway)
Opened: 1865 (Closed 1973)
Re-Opened: 1977
Platforms: 2
Ropley was originally opened by the Mid-Hants Railway in 1865 and later leased and then owned by the LSWR and the Southern Railway. It was closed by British Rail in 1973.

It was re-opened 4 years later by the preserved Mid-Hants Railway (also known as the Watercress Line) and is one of the intermediate stops on their re-opened line between Alton and Alresford. Ropley is the engineering centre of the preserved railway with the line's main locomotive shed and workshops next to the station. Ropley has footbridges at either end of the station, one of the bridges allows access to the workshop area.
The line is home to preserved steam and diesels like 33 053

Main station building, the workshops can be seen behind

View of the station from one of the footbridges

Ropley signalbox

British Railways 9F 92212 brings an Alton bound train in

Harrogate (HGT)

Information
Type: National Rail (Harrogate Line)
Station code: HGT
Opened: 1862
Platforms: 2
Harrogate, on the Harrogate Line between Leeds and York, was opened by the North Eastern Railway in 1862. However it isn't the town's first station, Brunswick was opened by the York & North Midland Railway in 1848 though was less central than the new Harrogate station. Brunswick was closed when Harrogate opened.

The current station buildings date from a complete rebuild in the mid-1960s with the footbridge and the station frontage being replaced in the 2000s. Although Harrogate has a platform 1 and 3. Platform 2, a bay platform, is no longer used.
Northern 142 021 stands at Harrogate on a service from York

Footbridge with another bridge part of an adjoining complex now above it

Station frontage

Harrogate North signalbox

General station view

Alton (AON)

Information
Type: National Rail (Alton Line) &
Preserved Railway (Mid
Hants Railway)
Station code: AON
Opened: 1852
Platforms: 3
Alton is the terminus of the Alton Line but also one of the termini of the preserved Mid-Hants Railway (also known as the Watercress Line). The station is shared between National Rail and the preserved railway with platforms 1 and 2 being used by NR and platform 3 for the preserved line.

The station was opened by the London & South West Railway in 1852 though moved to its current site (immediately adjacent to the old site which now forms the car park) in 1865. Under the guise of the Southern Railway the line from Woking was electrified down to Alton in 1937.

The Mid-Hants Railway was a separate line built by the Mid-Hants Railway Company from Winchester in the 1860s, it opened in 1865 and shared the same Alton station as the line from Woking. The line was closed by British Rail in 1973 after a long period of decline (the lack of electrification meaning that through-trains were not possible) but re-opened as a preserved line in 1977 as far as Alresford. However services were not restored through to Alton until 1985.
Two SWT 450s just after arrival, the footbridge grants access between the platforms 
Old and new, SWT trains viewed from the Mid-Hants platform

A steam train approaches

Vintage signage in place on the Mid-Hants platform

Buildings on the Mid-Hants platform

Liverpool Lime Street Low Level (LVL)

Information
Type: National Rail (Merseyrail
Wirral Line)
Station code: LVL
Opened: 1977
Platforms: 1
The mainline station Liverpool Lime Street was joined by an underground Lime Street in 1977 when the Wirral loop was opened. The loop is a single track tunnel with trains (from the Wirral) first stopping at Liverpool James Street before progressing clockwise around the loop to Moorfields, Lime Street, Liverpool Central and then back to James Street and then back under the Mersey[1].

Entrance to Liverpool Lime Street Low Level is via the main concourse in the mainline station above. The station is entirely underground including a ticket hall and a shop. Note: the station is usually publicly referred to as just "Lime Street".
508 114 pulls into the station

Wirral Line map

507 007 heads off

[1] Chris Heaps, BR Diary 1968-1977 (Ian Allan, 1988) p. 114

Amersham (AMR/ZAM)

Information
Type: Transport for London (Metropolitan
Line) & National Rail
Station code: AMR/ZAM
Opened: 1892
Platforms: 3
Amersham is at the top left edge of the London Underground tube map and is the second furthest station from the centre of London after Chesham. Amersham is a terminus of the Metropolitan Line though also is host to National Rail services from Aylesbury to London Marylebone operated by Chiltern Railways.

Amersham was opened by the Metropolitan Railway in 1892, later becoming joint owned with the Great Central Railway (later LNER and finally BR). Although Amersham and the Metropolitan Railway became part of the London Underground in 1933 the line was not electrified until 1960. The new EMU stock for the Metropolitan Line at the time was called the A60 Stock, the A after Amersham.


The station has 3 platforms with buildings and canopies over both. There is a footbridge linking the platforms. Metropolitan Line trains terminate here, after checks the train moves forward just outside the station before switching over to the other track and beginning the long journey back to the big city.
One of the furthest (official) LU station roundels you'll see from London!

Chiltern 168 001 departs heading for Marylebone

Main station building

S Stock train begins the long journey back to London

Footbridges

Aylesbury bound Chiltern 165 008 arrives

Hall Green (HLG)

Information
Type: National Rail (Shakespeare Line)
Station code: HLG
Opened: 1908
Platforms: 2
Hall Green was opened in 1908 by the Great Western Railway on the North Warwickshire Line (nowadays known as the Shakespeare Line), serving the Hall Green area of South-East Birmingham and is located in between Spring Road and Yardley Wood.

The station once had a goods yard though this was closed in the late 1960s. Much of the station is as built, and in the standard GWR style of the early 20th century. The station is still in good condition though most facilities and buildings are concentrated on the Birmingham platform.



Hall Green still has a staffed ticket office though staffing is a bit less than the station's heyday in the late 1920s when the station had a staff of 15! [1]
LM 172 336 at Hall Green

Main station building

Looking down the line towards Stratford

Footbridge

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Stratford-upon-Avon to Birmingham (Moor Street) (Middleton Press, 2006) Img. 83