|WMR 323 209 has just arrived|
|Type:||National Rail (Cross-City Line)|
The station was opened in 1859 by the Midland Railway at the end of a new branch line from the Birmingham & Gloucester Line at Barnt Green. At a later date the Evesham & Redditch Railway built a line South from Redditch via Evesham to Ashchurch. This line was closed to passengers in 1962 and closed completely two years later. The line from Barnt Green was also nearly a victim of the Beeching cuts but survived thanks to a local campaign. Services were greatly improved when the Cross-City Line was inaugurated in the late 1970s with more regular services to Birmingham.
The station was moved in 1992 to make space for a new bus station and shopping centre, this was done as part of the Cross-City Line's electrification upgrade. Redditch is the only station on the Cross-City Line to have a single platform though does have a booking office and waiting room.
|Looking down the line|
|General view of the station|
|WMR 323 243 prepares to depart|