Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV)

Lichfield Trent Valley is a split-level station with the Northern terminus of the Cross-City Line being on the high-level and the West Coast Main Line below. The station was first opened by the Trent Valley Railway in 1847 as Lichfield.

Information
Type: National Rail
(West Coast Main Line &
Cross-City Line)
Station code: LTV
Opened: 1847
Platforms: 3
A couple of years later the South Staffordshire Railway built a nearby station called Lichfield Trent Valley Junction.

In 1871 the London & North Western Railway which had absorbed both companies closed both of these stations and amalgamated all the services at a new Lichfield Trent Valley station on the current site. Lichfield also has the more central Lichfield City which is the next stop along the Cross-City Line.



Once the high-level platforms were through platforms on a route to Burton-on-Trent but the platforms were closed in 1965 when services between Lichfield City and Burton-on-Trent ceased (the lines themselves remained open for freight and diversions) before being re-opened in 1988 as the terminus of Cross-City Line was extended from Lichfield City [1]. The low-level platforms now serve the Rugby-Stafford section of the WCML. The station was upgraded in the early 2010s with a new station building and a larger car park.
LM 323 220 stands at Lichfield Trent Valley High Level

Cross-City Line trains go no further North

Low-Level platforms

116 miles to London!

The High-Level platform crosses over the WCML platforms

LM 350 120 pauses on a North bound service

[1] Vic Mitchell, North of Birmingham (Middleton Press, 2014) p. 117