Wilmcote (WMC)

Wilmcote is six and a half kilometres North of Stratford-upon-Avon and serves the historic village of the same name which is the site of Mary Arden's Farm (this is advertised on the station name signs).
WMR 172 340 arrives with a North bound service

The original Wilmcote station dates from 1860 and was on the Hatton-Stratford Line with just a single platform. The current station dates from 1908 when the line from Birmingham to Stratford (and through to Cheltenham Spa) was upgraded and doubled by the Great Western Railway [1].

Type: National Rail (Shakespeare Line)
Station code: WMC
Opened: 1860
Platforms: 2

Wilmcote station is just South of Bearley Junction where the Shakespeare Line (as the line is now known) is joined by a line from Leamington Spa. Wilmcote is managed and served by West Midlands Railway and also served by Chiltern Railways, some of whose services go through to London Marylebone.

Wilmcote is an unmanned station these days though retains its original GWR built station buildings however neither are open to the public. Access between the platforms is via a GWR footbridge.
View down the platform looking North

New signage

GWR footbridge

View South

Station sign

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Stratford-upon-Avon to Birmingham (Middleton Press, 2006) p. 37