|Type:||Transport for London
|Closed:||1979 (merged into Charing Cross)|
Although both stations were owned by the Underground Electric Railways of London company there was no underground interchange, passengers had to travel to the surface to transfer that way. The Northern Line station was renamed Charing Cross (Strand) in 1914 and Strand in 1915 (taking the name of a nearby Piccadilly Line station which was renamed Aldwych). Another Charing Cross station already existed by the way, operated by the District Railway.
As with Regent's Park on the original stretch of the Bakerloo Line it was not possible to construct station buildings on the surface so an underground ticket office was built .
The building of new platforms for the Fleet Line (renamed Jubilee Line by the time it opened) in the 1970s gave London Underground the opportunity to finally merge the Northern and Bakerloo stations . The new station was named Charing Cross in 1979 (the District Line Charing Cross was renamed Embankment) and Trafalgar Square ceased to exist as a separate station and on the tube map. Platform signs on the Bakerloo platforms however still say "For Trafalgar Square" under Charing Cross on the LU roundel.
|Original platform just before opening note the name on the tiles, public domain image |
|Trafalgar Square today, now part of Charing Cross|
|A Bakerloo Line train stands at the former Trafalgar Square station|
 "Baker Street & Waterloo Railway of London", Street Railway Journal Vol. XXVII No. 14 (April 1906) p. 554
 Chris Nix, Charing Cross access all areas (London Transport Museum, 2017) p. 2
 Mike Horne, The Bakerloo Line (Capital Transport, 2001) p. 18
 Ibid. p. 67