The line was electrified in 1956, originally to 1, 500v DC overhead. British Railways had already decided however to standardise on 25kV AC overhead earlier that year . The line was converted to AC in 1960, initially to 6.25kV and in 1979 finally to 25kV.
The station is a terminus and is next to carriage sidings. All four platforms can handle twelve-coach trains.
|Looking down the platform away from the station building|
|Greater Anglia 321 327 on one of the storage sidings|
|Greater Anglia 321 358 at the buffers|
 John Glover, Eastern Electric (Ian Allan, 2003) p. 67