Ledbury (LED)

Ledbury is on the line between Worcester and Hereford, part of the Cotswold Line, and also known as the Birmingham-Hereford Line.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Cotswold Line)
Station code: LED
Opened: 1861
Platforms: 2
The station was opened by the West Midlands Railway in 1861. Later on it was known as Ledbury Junction after the Daffodil Line from Ledbury to Gloucester was opened in the 1880s (the now closed Ledbury Town Halt is not far away). The current Ledbury signalbox was built to manage the junction and still remains long after the branch line was closed.

Most of the line from Malvern to Hereford is single-track though Ledbury is double tracked. Nowadays the station has just basic facilities, though does have a ticket office, and shelters though used to have brick station buildings with GWR style canopies [1]. A goods yard, for coal traffic, just ahead of the station by the signalbox is now closed though some of the tracks remain [2].

Ledbury has services to destinations such as Birmingham New Street, Hereford, London Paddington and Worcester.
170 510, then operated by London Midland, departs Ledbury

View towards Hereford from the footbridge

Ledbury signal box

Station sign

Footbridge

Two London Midland 170s depart

[1] Michael Welch, Diesels on the Western (Capital Transport, 2013) p. 8
[2] Ibid. p. 38