The station has been renamed a number of times. It was renamed Melton Mowbray in 1876 though gained a South to it's name in 1923. This was changed to Midland in 1950 and Town in 1957 (in order to distinguish it from the now-closed Melton Mowbray North). The station name finally reverted to just Melton Mowbray in 1965.
Parts of the station building date from the original opening . The station was refurbished in 2011 with new platform services and a replacement footbridge. The station has a ticket office, waiting rooms and some fine canopies. The station is managed by East Midlands Trains though most services which use the station are operated by Cross Country.
|Two Cross Country 170s meet at the station|
|Main station building|
|View down the platform|
|Melton Mowbray is the rural capital of food|
|Melton signal box|
 Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire & Rutland (Penguin, 1960) p. 192