Earlswood (EMD)

Earlswood (sometimes referred to as Earlswood (West Midlands) to distinguish it from another Earlswood station in Surrey) is a stop on the Shakespeare Line (the modern name for the North Warwickshire Line) from Birmingham to Stratford-upon-Avon.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Shakespeare Line)
Station code: EMD
Opened: 1908
Platforms: 2
The station was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1908 as Earlswood Lakes, in 1974 it changed name to just Earlswood (the next station along the line The Lakes is actually next to the lakes). The station is now on the border between Warwickshire and the West Midlands - the platforms are in the former and the Northern approach roads in the latter.

The station originally had a goods yard and a cattle dock though these were closed in 1964 [1]. A signalbox on the site was closed in 1981. The station once had brick buildings with canopies on both platforms but all of these have now gone to be replaced by a couple of bus shelters. The Station Master's house still exists but is now a private dwelling.

The station is served by West Midlands Trains and is on the boundary of the West Midlands PTE area.
WMT 172 335 arrives with a Stratford-upon-Avon service

Up the line towards Birmingham 
The Station Master's house can be seen behind the small car park

Modern day facilities

Access between the platforms is via the road bridge

Station sign

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Stratford-upon-Avon to Birmingham Moor Street (Middleton Press, 2006) map. XVII