|Type:||Transport for London
The station became part of the London Underground during the aborted Northern Heights project in the late 1930s with the station becoming part of the Northern Line and being electrified in 1940. The original line to High Barnet was cut back to Mill Hill East  with the main line continuing on to High Barnet. Although now a London Underground station it was still host to British Railways freight until 1962 when the goods yard was closed.
There were plans to replace the original station buildings with new though this was cancelled along with the rest of the Northern Heights project post-war . Finchley Central thus has some of the oldest buildings remaining on the Underground. Finchley Central has three platforms, one for the Mill Hill East shuttle.
|95ts 51555 pulls into Finchley Central on a Southbound service|
|A North bound train arrives, the Mill Hill East shuttle on the far platform|
|All platforms retain canopies|
|Signalbox to the South of the island platform|
 Jason Cross, London Underground Guide 2017 (Train Crazy, 2017) p. 124
 John Scott Morgan, London Underground in Colour Since 1955 (Ian Allan, 2013) p. 50
 Siddy Holloway, Highgate Wilderness Walkabout (London Transport Museum, 2017) p. 14
 Paul Moss, London Underground (Haynes, 2014) p. 106