(Merseyrail City Line)
Once the station was a busy junction with a number of different routes and lines but these were gradually closed in the post-war period to leave just the Liverpool-Wigan (and Preston-Liverpool) routes. The station had an overall roof but this was demolished in the 1960s and the number of platforms reduced to two.
The station was renamed St Helens Shaw Street in 1949 with the current name change in 1987 (a different station called St Helens Central station closed in 1952). The station was rebuilt in 1961 with a further rebuild including the striking current station building and a new footbridge being completed in 2007.
The Liverpool-Wigan line was electrified in the early 2010s and since 2015 St Helens Central has been served by electric services operated by Northern.
|Northern 319 378 and 319 367 meet|
|View of the station (and the roof of a 319) from the footbridge|
|Platform sign advertising local attractions|
|Northern 319 362 arrives with a Wigan bound service|