Whitlocks End (WTE)

Whitlocks End is a station on the North Warwickshire or Shakespeare Line between Shirley and Wythall in the West Midlands. The station was opened by the GWR in 1936 to serve the hamlet of the same name and the nearby village of Hollywood.
Information
Type: National Rail
(Shakespeare Line)
Station code: WTE
Opened: 1936
Platforms: 2

The station was opened as Whitlocks End Halt [1] but this was changed in 1968 when the Halt part of the name was dropped. Since the station has been built the number of housing nearby has increased notably.

As well as through services to Stratford-upon-Avon a number of services every hour from Birmingham terminate at Whitlocks End. These return to Birmingham from Platform 2 travelling "wrong way" a short distance until crossing over just North of the station.

Originally the station had short and low timber edged platforms [2]. The station was rebuilt in 1999 and has had a number of ramps added to aid accessibility as the station is in a cutting below the road bridge which allows interchange between the two platforms. The station is managed by West Midlands Railway.
A terminating service, shortly it will depart bound for Birmingham

Steps and ramps down to platform level

View down the platform

View down to the platform

View from road level

WMR 172 344 stands at Whitlocks End

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Stratford-upon-Avon to Birmingham (Moor Street) (Middleton Press, 2006) p. 70
[2] Ibid p. 69