New Brighton (NBN)

Information
Type: National Rail (Merseyrail
Wirral Line)
Station code: NBN
Opened: 1888
Platforms: 2
The railway reached New Brighton in 1888, by then already a popular seaside resort on the Wirral which until the First World War had a tower taller than Blackpool's [1]. The station was opened by the Wirral Railway and later passed to the London, Midland & Scottish Railway who electrified the route in 1938.

Once the station had a goods yard but this is an industrial estate now. The original Wirral Railway station building with its spacious booking hall remains.

New Brighton is the terminus of the New Brighton branch of the Wirral Line and has services towards Liverpool of up to every 15 minutes.
Merseyrail 507 021 having just arrived

Booking hall

Station frontage

Through to the trains

Platform sign advertising New Brighton's attractions

[1] Jonathan Cadwallader & Martin Jenkins, Merseyside Electrics (Ian Allan, 2010) p. 66