|WMR 170 504 arrives|
|Type:||National Rail (Wolverhampton-Shrewsbury Line)|
The station was opened as Oakengates West in 1849 by the Great Western Railway  and kept this name until it lost the "West" in 1956. After the creation of the new town of Telford (of which Oakengates is a part of) the station was renamed Oakengates for Telford in 1983 though reverted to Oakengates in 1986 after the opening of Telford Central.
Just before the station (heading from Telford Central) is Oakengates Tunnel, construction of which was troublesome and delayed opening of the line for three years. The station had a goods yard which closed in 1965, however two sidings were retained for cement traffic until 1991 .
The station is unstaffed, the former main station building is now used as a dental practice. Access between the two platforms is a via a footbridge and a couple of bus shelters are provided for passengers. The station is managed by West Midlands Railway who operate an hourly service in both directions between Birmingham New Street and Shrewsbury with extra trains at peak times.
|TfW 158 834 passes through|
|WMR 170 517 arrives, the tunnel can be just seen behind the train|
|Former main station building|
 Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury (Middleton Press, 2009) Map. XXVII
 Ibid. Fig. 89