(West Coast Main Line)
The first station in Northampton was Bridge Street which was opened in 1845 by the Northampton & Peterborough Railway. In 1859 the London & North Western Railway opened a station on the site of the town's former castle (and indeed the station ended up being called Northampton Castle). This station was initially a rather minor station compared to Bridge Street. The building of the Northampton Loop along with other improvements to the Birmingham-London line (now the WCML) saw the Castle station grow in importance and it was rebuilt and enlarged in the early 1880s.
In 1964 Bridge Street closed leaving Castle station the only one remaining in the town. It was renamed to just Northampton a couple of years later. The station was rebuilt in the late 1960s along with the arrival of electrification. This station remained until 2013-14 when a brand new station building twice the size of the 1960s one was opened.
Most services at Northampton are by London Northwestern Railway though a couple of Virgin Trains services also stop at the station every day.
|LNWR 350 241 on one of the two bay platforms|
|Look down the platform|
|A LNWR 350 prepares to depart for London Euston|
|LNWR 350 241 and friend stand at Northampton|
|Freightliner 66 951 passes through the station|