Wylde Green (WYL)

Wylde Green is a stop on the Northern half of the Birmingham Cross-City Line between Chester Road (which actually is closer to Wylde Green itself) and Sutton Coldfield.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Cross-City Line)
Station code: WYL
Opened: 1862
Platforms: 2
The station was opened in 1862 by the London & North Western Railway on it's line from Birmingham New Street to Sutton Coldfield. The station was built to the standard layout then used by the LNWR with wooden platform buildings including a booking office and waiting rooms.

The station had no goods facilities though did have a signal box [1], this has now gone. A brick booking office has been retained though platform shelters are now of the corrugated iron type.

The station became a park & ride station in the 1970s with the addition of an adjacent car park with space for forty-five cars (now fifty-one). The line through Wylde Green was electrified in 1993. The station is served by West Midlands Trains.
323 210 (in London Midland days) stops at the station

View down the platforms

[1] Vic Mitchell, North of Birmingham (Middleton Press, 2014) Fig. 96