Marston Green (MGN)

Marston Green is a stop on the West Coast Main Line in Solihull in between Birmingham International and Lea Hall. The station is literally at the end of the runway for Birmingham Airport though Birmingham International is the station for airline passengers.

Information
Type: National Rail
(West Coast Main Line)
Station code: MGN
Opened: 1838
Platforms: 2
The station was opened by the London & Birmingham Railway in 1838 on their line between Birmingham and Coventry. The station originally had two goods sidings and a refuge siding. The goods yard was closed in 1964.

Due to the proximity of Birmingham Airport (originally Elmdon Aerodrome) there were emergency signals at the station for the event of a plane landing on the railway line! Following electrification of the line in the 1960s and a rebuild of the station in the mid-1970s nothing of the original station now remains. The station is served by West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway.
A LM 350 prepares to depart Marston Green, here we are looking down towards Birmingham

Two LM 350s heading towards Birmingham New Street

View from the footbridge, the airport is to the right just beyond the trees

LM 350 239 departs for London Euston