The station was opened by the London & North Western Railway in 1863 on its line from Birmingham to Sutton Coldfield. The station had wooden platform buildings and retained gas lighting until the 1960s . The station is on an embankment with ramps to the platforms.
Little remains of the original station nowadays with much change happening when the line going through Chester Road was electrified in the early 1990s. The original LNWR waiting room was preserved and is now at Market Bosworth on the Battlefield Line .
The current station has fairly standard corrugated iron shelters and a large car park as part of the park and ride rail scheme in the city. Chester Road is nowadays managed by West Midlands Railway who operate all of the trains which serve the station.
|WMR 323 216 arrives|
|Looking towards Birmingham|
|Station sign, over the Chester Road|
|A WMT train approaches|
|Looking down the platform|
|A North bound 323 prepares to depart|
 Vic Mitchell, North of Birmingham (Middleton Press, 2014) Fig. 92
 Ibid. Fig. 93