|Type:||National Rail (Portsmouth
The station was opened in 1876 as the terminus of the Portsmouth Direct Line from London Waterloo. Services from Waterloo still form the bulk of traffic though there are also regular services from Cardiff and along the coast. South West Trains, Southern and Great Western Railway currently serve the station which has 4 active platforms.
The station's proximity to military targets meant it suffered badly in the Second World War from German bombs in early 1941. The station was badly damaged in a raid on the night of January 11th which saw 13 cars from stabled EMUs destroyed and the platform structures burnt out. One platform was restored to use but the rest of the station remained unavailable until 1946 .
|SWT 444 021|
|Exterior view, a SWT train can be just seen through the windows!|
|Southern 377 153 and SWT 450 105|
 David Brown, Southern Electric Vol 2 (Capital Transport, 2010) p. 47