|Transport for Wales 143 623 at Cardiff Central|
|Type:||National Rail (South Wales Main Line, Valley and Local Lines)|
Cardiff was opened in 1850 by the South Wales Railway. The land the station was to be built on was prone to flooding, Isambard Kingdom Brunel solving this by diverting the river Taff! When the station was opened services were run by the South Wales Railway and Great Western Railway. Cardiff was originally a broad gauge station but was converted to standard gauge in 1872.
In 1896 the station was expanded, including a flying junction for a link to the other central station Cardiff Queen Street. The number of platforms was also increased to six. The station was renamed Cardiff General in 1924. A few years later the station was rebuilt by the GWR, including the current Art Deco styled station building. The station is now Grade II listed.
The station was renamed Cardiff Central in 1973 by British Rail. The station gained an eighth platform and a new entrance to the South in the early 2010s as part of a modernisation of the station. The South Wales Main Line through Cardiff Central is currently in the process of being electrified with a completion date late in 2019.
The station is served by Transport for Wales, Great Western Railway and Cross Country.
|1930s station frontage|
|A Class 158 in the new Transport for Wales livery|
|66 200 takes a freight through the station|
|TfW 150 208 stands at the station|
|View down the platform... and a Pacer!|