(West Coast Main Line,
City Line & Merseyrail
The station was formed from the merger and replacement of two existing stations: Allerton and Garston. Allerton was opened in 1864 by the St Helens Railway and served routes to Liverpool from Manchester and Crewe. It went into decline after the late 1970s after Garston joined the Merseyrail Northern Line, this took over much of the local traffic as it offered a faster service to the city centre. Garston itself was opened in 1874 by the Cheshire Lines Committee. It was struggling for passengers by the 1960s and closed in 1972. It was reopened in 1978 as part of the Merseyrail Northern Line to form its Southern terminus , though the line was extended to Hunts Cross in the early 1980s. Both it and Allerton were closed in the mid-2000s.
The station buildings and platforms of both stations were demolished and replaced by new build for the new station. The WCML and City Line platforms are on the site of Allerton station and the Northern Line platforms built slightly to the East of Garston.
When Liverpool Lime Street is closed for whatever reason Liverpool South Parkway can be used as the terminus for incoming services instead, with the Northern Line taking people on to the centre of the city.
|LM 350 231 departs with a Lime St bound service|
|Northern Line platforms, third rail territory!|
|Station name board, the link to the airport is highlighed|
|Merseyrail 507 024 arrives with a city bound service|
 Jonathan Cadwallader & Martin Jenkins, Merseyside Electrics (Ian Allan, 2010) p. 48