(Merseyrail Northern Line)
The station was opened by the Liverpool, Crosby and Southport railway in 1848 as the original Southern terminus. Later the station was taken over by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (who electrified the line to 630v DC third rail at the start of the 20th century), LNWR, LMS and finally British Railways. The station is now managed by Merseyrail who provide all of the services that call there on the Northern Line to Southport.
Not far from the beach the station has always been popular and has over 1.5 million passengers a year. The station once had fine Victorian platform buildings and canopies but these were demolished despite protests in 1975 . Nowadays the single island platform has just a bus shelter and a bike shed. The station entrance is up via stairs or a lift to street level. A ramp that offers access to the platform from another entrance next to the bus interchange opposite the main station building entrance is currently closed.
Though the station is officially just named Waterloo some public information screens display it as Waterloo (Merseyside) - just in case anyone mistakes it with London Waterloo.
|Merseyrail 507 024 departs with a Southport bound service|
|Now disused ramp walkway to street level|
|The platform has a bus shelter and a bike shed|
 Jonathan Cadwallader & Martin Jenkins, Merseyside Electrics (Ian Allan, 2010) p. 30
 Ibid. p. 30