Banbury (BAN)

Information
Type: National Rail
(Chiltern Main Line)
Station code: BAN
Opened: 1850
Platforms: 4
Banbury station was opened as Banbury Bridge Station by the Great Western Railway in 1850 though was not Banbury's first station. This was the now closed Banbury Merton Street which opened a few months earlier.

The station was renamed Banbury General [1] in 1938 and kept this name until the 1970s when it changed to just Banbury following the closure of Merton Street to passengers.



The station was due to be rebuilt in the 1940s but this got delayed due to the Second World War and in the end the rebuild did not happen until the late 1950s, not before the original overall roof had to be removed for safety reasons [2]. The station was finally rebuilt between 1956 and 1958 and much of this has remained unchanged ever since. Access between the ticket hall and platforms is via an overbridge which also includes a cafe and other facilities.

As well as being a major stop on the Chiltern Main Line Banbury is also the terminus of the Cherwell Valley Line between Banbury and Oxford. There was also once a line to Buckingham however this closed in the 1960s.

The station has seen dramatic growth in passenger numbers over the last few years. Banbury received track layout alterations and resignalling in 2016. A new MPD to be operated by Chiltern Railways has also been built next to the station.
Chiltern 165 023 stands under a large station sign

General view of the platforms and overbridge, much of the station dates from a late 1950s build

Platform canopy

Freightliner 66 542 leads a train through, the large car park behind

View down the platform following resignalling and remodelling

GWR 165 123 stands at Banbury before a service to Oxford

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Princes Risborough to Banbury (Middleton Press, 2002) plate 99
[2] Ibid. plate 103