Bidston (BID)

Bidston is the junction of the Merseyrail Wirral Line and the Borderlands Line from Wrexham Central of which it is the Northern terminus.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Merseyrail Wirral Line
& Borderlands Line)
Station code: BID
Opened: 1866
Platforms: 2
The station was opened in 1866 by the Hoylake Railway for their line from Birkenhead Dock to Hoylake. The station was rather isolated however, not getting a paved access road until 1970! The station was closed a couple of times in the late 1800s (1866-70 and 1872-90) due to low passenger numbers [1] (the village of Bidston was rather small) but was reopened as the railway network grew across the Wirral.

In the first half of the 1900s Bidston became a busy interchange station between the electric trains on the Wirral line (from 1938) [2] and steam trains to Wrexham and Chester. This is largely how the station was remained to the present day except the steam trains have been replaced by diesels.

The station consists of an island platform with the Merseyrail trains using both sides and the Borderlands Line, currently operated by Arriva Trains Wales, one of them. Access to the platform is via a footbridge. The platform has a booking office and waiting room.
Merseyrail 507 016 arrives with a Liverpool bound service

Footbridge

Approach to the station

Arriva Trains Wales 150 235 prepares to return to Wrexham Central

Station nameboard

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Birkenhead to West Kirby (Middleton Press, 2014) fig. 29
[2] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Wrexham to New Brighton (Middleton Press, 2013) fig. 97