(North Downs Line &
Reading-London Waterloo Line)
The Staines, Wokingham & Woking Railway reached the town in 1856 and gave Wokingham a direct link to the capital with services through to London Waterloo. The line was worked by the London & South Western Railway. Both lines became part of the Southern Railway with the line through Wokingham being electrified in 1939 as electrification was extended from Virginia Water to Reading.
The original station building was replaced by a modern (and standard design) British Rail one in 1973, the platforms were extended in 1987 to serve eight-car trains . The signal box built by the Southern Railway, which replaced two earlier boxes, in the early 1930s remains in place and controls part of the line and a level crossing at the Southern end of the station . The station is served by South Western Railway (who also manage it) and Great Western Railway.
|GWR 166 202 arrives at Wokingham|
|Looking up towards Reading|
|Also looking up towards Reading but from the other platform|
|Two GWR services cross|
 Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Reading to Guildford (Middleton Press, 1988) Fig. 38
 Ibid. Fig. 40