|Type:||Transport for London
Balham was opened by the City & South London Railway in 1926  on it's Southern extension to Morden. Balham is in between Clapham South and Tooting Bec. In the Second World War Balham was badly damaged during a bombing raid in 1940 when a bomb exploded on the road above the station. This caused a partial tunnel collapse on the platform below. Over sixty people were killed (the station being used as a shelter) . The station was re-opened within a few months.
The station has two surface buildings, designed by Charles Holden and built from Portland Stone as was common on the Underground in that period.
|A Northern Line train in the station|
|View down the platform|
 Jason Cross, London Underground Guide 2017 (Train Crazy, 2017) p. 100
 Mike Horne, The Northern Line (Capital Transport, 2009) p. 55