Warwick (WRW)

Warwick serves the county town of Warwickshire, though has been rather overshadowed since the opening of Warwick Parkway in 2000 which has a better intercity service and much better parking.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Chiltern Main Line)
Station code: WRW
Opened: 1852
Platforms: 2
Warwick was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1852 on it's line between Oxford and Birmingham. The station was expanded in 1890 with the platforms lengthened. Warwick once had a bay siding for a bank engine to assist heavy goods trains up Hatton bank towards Birmingham.

Warwick had two goods yards, one for the gas works and the other for the Royal Agricultural Society which held shows nearby [1]. The goods yards and bay siding have now gone following rationalisation in the mid-1960s, as have the station buildings on the Up (London) line. The station building on the Down line still survives. The station has a small cafe and waiting room. Access between the platforms is via a subway.

The station is managed by Chiltern Railways who supply most services to the station on the Birmingham-London Marylebone route and services to Leamington Spa either from Stratford-upon-Avon or Birmingham Moor Street. West Midlands Railway also stop at the station at peak times.
A Cross Country service passes through the station

Main station building

A Stoneblower passes through the station

Station frontage

Station sign

Two Chiltern services at the station

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Banbury to Birmingham (Middleton Press, 2004) Map XIV