University (UNI)

Information
Type: National Rail (Cross-City Line)
Station code: UNI
Opened: 1978
In 1978 services were restored on the former Birmingham West Suburban Railway between Longbridge and Birmingham New Street through to Lichfield as the Cross-City Line, University was a new station opened to serve Birmingham University and the QE hospital though is near a former station called Somerset Road which closed in 1930.

The Cross-City Line was an immediate hit with passengers with services quickly increased [1] and with later extensions to the route and electrification in 1993, University is the second busiest station on the line after New Street with around 3 million passengers a year. The station has 2 corrugated metal canopies over part of the 2 platforms. Access is via a stairway from the ticket hall at road level, the line and platforms being in a cutting.

As well as London Midland Cross-City Line services other London Midland services also stop here to/from Hereford and Worcester as do some South-West bound Cross City services.
A London Midland service at platform 2

View of the shelter on Platform 2

LM 323 240 arrives at Platform 1

[1] John Glover, BR Diary 1978-1985 (Ian Allan, 1985) p. 19