Page's Park

Page's Park is one of the two stops, and headquarters of the Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway.

Information
Type: Preserved Railway
(Leighton Buzzard
Narrow Gauge
Railway)
Opened: 1969
Platforms: 2
The Leighton Buzzard Light Railway was formed in 1919 linking sand quarries at Double Arches with the mainline railway at Grovesbury sidings in Leighton Buzzard. The railway was built to 610mm narrow gauge. The railway survived into the 1960s though traffic began to drop after the Second World War.

A group of preservationists began running passenger trains on the line at weekends in 1968, the final sand trains ran the year afterwards and the line was taken over as a heritage line [1] (unlike most heritage lines the Leighton Buzzard Light Railway was never actually closed). The sidings at Grovesbury have now been built over and the Southern terminus of the railway is at Page's Park.

Pages's Park is home to the railway's main engine shed and storage sidings for rolling stock. The station has two platforms and a run-round loop. A new station building was opened in 2016 replacing a temporary structure that had been in place since 1976. The new station building took some design ideas from the former LNWR mainline station in the town which was demolished in the late 1980s.
Orenstein & Koppel No. 11 PC Allen prepares to run around it's train

A train stands at the station

A view down the station

Beaudesert and a coach rake outside the engine shed

Battery electric shunter NG23 inside the engine shed

PC Allen takes on water

[1] Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Watford to Leighton Buzzard (Middleton Press, 2004) Fig. 114