Duddeston (DUD)

Duddeston was opened by the Grand Junction Railway as 1837 as Vauxhall and was the terminus of the line from the North (and thus Birmingham's first railway terminus) for 2 years until the opening of Birmingham Curzon Street.

Information
Type: National Rail
(Cross-City Line &
Walsall Line)
Station code: DUD
Opened: 1837
Platforms: 2
After the opening of Curzon Street Duddeston (still known as Vauxhall) closed to passenger services, being used for freight only until it was rebuilt by the London & North Western Railway in 1869. In 1889 it was renamed to Vauxhall & Duddeston. The final renaming to Duddeston came in 1974 [1].

The station has suffered destruction a number of times. The station was hit by a German bomb in 1941 which destroyed the main station building. The replacement building also burned down in the 1950s!


Duddeston used to be adjacent to the Grand Junction Railway's engine shed (which opened in 1840) and a sizeable goods yard though these have now gone. The lines through the station were quadrupled in 1891 though only 1 platform is in use now (the other has become a buddleia plantation!)

As part of the Cross-City and Walsall Lines Duddeston has been electrified. However not all services on these busy lines stop at Duddeston. Just two services run in each direction every hour.
London Midland 323 341 departs on a service North

Ticket office is on the road above the station

The platforms have these metal sculptures

Platform sign

Former platform, not been used for some time!

London Midland 323 212

[1] Vic Mitchell, North of Birmingham (Middleton Press, 2014) fig. 75