Shildon (SHD)

Information
Type: National Rail (Bishop Line)
Station code: SHD
Opened: 1825
Platforms: 2
Shildon is described as the "cradle of the railways" being located on the pioneer Stockton & Darlington Railway (indeed one of its terminuses), the first train by Locomotion No. 1 (the first locomotive to haul a passenger carrying train on a public line) was hauled at Shildon in 1825 [1].

Shildon was the engineering hub of the Stockton & Darlington Railway and home to the Soho Locomotive Works where the early steam locomotives were built for the S&DR and elsewhere. Later Shildon became an important centre for wagon construction and repair through into the British Rail era, the works finally closing in 1984.


The current station is located next to the National Rail Museum's Shildon outpost and was re-built in 2003 at the same time the museum was built on land formerly used by the Shildon Railway Works. Shildon is now one of the stops on the Bishop Line (formerly the Tees Valley Line) between Bishop Auckland and Saltburn.
Northern 142 015 stands at Shildon

General view of the station 
The station is a modern construction though surrounded by historic buildings and landmarks

Shildon signal box is just past one of the platforms

Northern 142 084 arrives on a Saltburn bound service

[1] Charlie Walton, "Bishop Line: A short history of the route" <https://www.bishopline.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/A-short-history-of-the-route.pdf>