|Type:||National Rail (Island Line)|
The station was opened in 1880, a joint effort between the London South Western Railway and London Brighton and South Coast Railway. Originally the station was over timber frames but the pier head was reinforced with ferro-concrete after World War 1.
Originally the station had 2 islands with 3 platforms, a fourth being added in 1933. However now only one platform is in use as the Island Line service has been cut back. At one stage in peak times a shuttle ran just between the Pier Head and the next station on land Ryde Esplanade as well as the regular service to the rest of the line but no longer.
|Island Line 483 004 loads up with passengers from the ferry|
|Preparing to head for land|
|Island Line 483 007 just after arrival|
|Heading out across the sea towards the Pier Head (seen from Ryde Esplanade)|
 John Balmforth, South West Trains (Ian Allan, 2011) p. 51
 R.J. Maycock & R. Silsbury, The Isle of Wight Railways from 1923 Onwards (Oakwood Press, 2006) p. 75