|Northern 323 239 at Crewe
|National Rail (West Coast Main Line & Others)
Crewe station was opened in 1837 by the Grand Junction Railway. This linked two existing railways and meant London, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool were now connected by rail. Crewe station was at the centre of a wide array of railway related sites including Crewe Electric Depot and Crewe Works which manufactured many locomotives ranging from the BR 9F steam freight locomotives to the HST power cars.
Crewe has twelve platforms, some of which are a considerable length with also a number of bays. Services to the station are very varied and include WCML trains run by Avanti West Midlands (who manage the station) and London North Western Railway as well as local Northern and East Midlands Railway services plus Transport for Wales services to Chester and Wales. There are also Cross County and Caledonian Sleeper services, as well as freight and special workings.
The platforms are largely is covered by canopies though there are quite a few gaps and it looks a bit dilapidated. As with all larger stations there are also the usual collection of coffee shops and kiosks. Due to its location Crewe and the great variety of traffic the station has remained a popular destination for enthusiasts.
|EMR 153 355 and LNWR 350 118 on two of Crewe's bay platforms
|TfW 175 003 stands ready to depart
|WMR 730 005 at Crewe before a test run
|Freightliner 66 543 and 566 stabled at Crewe
|A couple of bay platforms