The station opened in 1844 as Cardiff Bute Dock and later Cardiff Docks and Cardiff Bute Road. It was given its current name in 1994. The station has been reduced since its heyday with the station building boarded up (though is Grade II* listed) and only 1 platform now in use. A shuttle service operated by Arriva Trains Wales and using a single car DMU runs between Cardiff Queen Street and Cardiff Bay every 12 minutes.
The station building was originally used as the offices of the Taff Vale Railway and later used as a consulate by a number of countries, a staging post for wounded soldiers returning to the UK from the First World War and finally the station building replacing an original building on the other, now removed, platform. The Museum of Military Medicine is planning to move to Cardiff and use the station building as part of its new facility .
|ATW 153 362 at Cardiff Bay|
 AMS Museum Move http://www.ramcassociation.org.uk/main-news/association-news/118-ams-museum-move